Carlos Perez undertakes all aspects of shipping law including shipping litigation, admiralty, ship finance and international trade. He acts for many international and domestic clients in relation to, inter alia, ship arrest, cargo claims, P&I and marine insurance claims, collision and salvage, ship sale and purchase, ship registration and ship building contracts.
He has a Law degree from the University of Seville and a Masters in Shipping Law and Maritime Business from the University of Madrid (ICADE) and the Spanish Maritime Institute.
Carlos Perez is recommended by The Legal 500, Chambers and Partners, Legal Business Guide, Global Counsel 3000 and Euromoney Expert Guides.
Mobile: +34 659 96 61 60
Memberships / Other qualifications
Member of the Spanish Maritime Law Association
Member of the Latin American Maritime Law Association
Member of the Board of the Algeciras Port Association (COMPORT)
Supporting Member of the London Maritime Arbitration Association
Spanish correspondent for the Legal Publication 'International Maritime Law'
Official Sworn Translator (English/Spanish) appointed by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs
|2006 - Date
||- PEREZ ALBORS | & CO, Managing Partner
|2002 - 2006
||- DLA Piper (Madrid), Partner
|1996 - 2002
||- Stephenson Harwood (Madrid), Partner
|1992 - 1996
||- Albors Galiano & Co (Madrid), Associate
|1991 - 1992
||- Clifford Chance (London), Assistant lawyer
|1990 - 1991
||- W.K. Webster & Co (London), Recoveries Department
|1989 - 1990
||- Placements with Heath Martens Horner, Richards Butler, Britannia P&I Club, Constant and Constant and The UK P&I Club (London)
His experience includes:
Articles, publications and seminars
- Defending the world's largest ship owner in legal proceedings brought by cargo owners and insurers in courts throughout Spain
- Arresting and releasing vessels at various Spanish ports on behalf of ship owners, leading P&I Clubs and insurance companies
- Advising leading hull underwriters on a major tanker grounding
- Defending ship owners and their underwriters in court proceedings brought by the Spanish Maritime Authorities in respect of oil pollution and dock damage
- Advising international and domestic ship owners on the salvage of their vessels in Spanish waters
- Pursuing cargo claims on behalf of cargo underwriters against ship owners and their underwriters
- Advising on charter party and bills of lading disputes
- Acting on behalf of ship owners in relation to fines imposed by the Spanish Authorities in respect of stowaways
- Advising a leading ship owner and its P&I Club on a major collision between a Dutch bulkcarrier and a Spanish trawler
- Acting on behalf of shipyards in relation to shipbuilding and repair contract disputes
- Advising on the enforcement of ship mortgages in Spain
- Providing legal opinions on shipbuilding contracts
- Advising on ship registration and export/deletion of vessels from the Spanish Registry
- Advising Greek buyers and their financing bank in relation to the purchase of two tankers from Spanish owners
- Advising a German bank on the financing of a ship owner for the purchase of two ships built in Spain
- Recovering unpaid freight, bunkers and disbursement accounts on behalf of ship owners and ship agents.
- "The Pilotage Contract", chapter of the book “Comments on the Spanish Shipping Act”, published by the Spanish Maritime Law Association, Madrid, April 2015.
- "Liability of ship agents and ship managers under the new Spanish Shipping Act", Publicación The Wire - ITIC Ltd, London, November 2014.
- "New Spanish Ports Act", Publicación The Wire - ITIC Ltd, February 2011.
- "Contenemar under siege as creditors chase debts", Lloyd’s List, October 2009.
- "Spanish hub shows first signs of box resurgence", Lloyd’s List, June 2009.
- "Algeciras move works well for Perez", Lloyd’s List, May 2008.
- "New IMO ship inspection law ratified", Lloyd’s List, February 2008.
- “Price is too high to risk ship-source pollution in Spain”, Lloyd’s List, June 2007.
- “Prodigal son returns to Sotogrande legal society”, Lloyd’s List, September 2006.
- "New Spanish Shipping Act", The Maritime Advocate, October 2005
- "Liability of the sea carrier under the new Spanish Shipping Act", Transporte XXI, September 2005
- "Spain takes a fresh look at its outdated shipping legislation", Lloyd's List, June 2005
- "New Spanish Shipping Act", The Maritime Advocate, May 2005
- "Spain prepares to delay stevedoring shake-up", Lloyd's List, February 2005
- "Socialists may reform unpopular Ports Act", Lloyd's List, June 2004
- "Spanish Courts accept foreign jurisdictions clauses", The Maritime Advocate, April 2004
- "Ship Arrest in Spain", Seminar, London April 2002.
- "Spanish Tax Lease", International Maritime Law, Lawtext Publishing Limited, August 2000
- "Stricter Rules on Stowaways", International Law Office, June 2000
- "Legal Problems in Spain and Some Practical Solutions: Jurisdiction, Ship Arrest and Stowaways", Seminar, Copenhagen June 2000.
- "Spain's hidden costs", The Maritime Advocate, November 1999
- "Spain: Beware of Stowaways", International Maritime Law Lawtext Publishing Limited, June 1999
- "Spain: Port Liberalisation", International Maritime Law Lawtext Publishing Limited, October 1998
- "Spain: New Rules for the Control of Marine Safety", International Maritime Law Lawtext Publishing Limited, June 1998
- "Spain: New Rules for the Control of Marine Safety", International Maritime Law Lawtext Publishing Limited, April 1998
- "Spain: New Rules on Cabotage Services", International Maritime Law Lawtext Publishing Limited, October 1997
- "Spain: Harder Rules on Stowaways", International Maritime Law Lawtext Publishing Limited, June 1997
- "Interruption of time-bar in cargo claims under Spanish law", P&I International, July 1997
- "Liability of Pilots in Spain", P&I International, April 1997
- "Cabotage Liberalisation in the Context of the European Union", International Shipping Conference, Seville, October 1996.
- "Conducting Maritime Arbitration in Spain", International Company and Commercial Law Review, Sweet & Maxwell Limited, October 1996
- "Ship arrest under Spanish law", International Company and Commercial Law Review, Sweet & Maxwell Limited, May 1996
María Antonia Albors
María Antonia Albors has a Law degree from the University of Valencia and a Masters in Legal Practice from the University of Madrid. In addition, she has a Doctorate Course on International Contracts. She is fluent in English and French having previously worked in a London office of a leading international firm and having studied Baccalauréat with honours at the Lycée Français in Valencia (Spain).
Mobile: +34 629 86 69 89
|2006 - Date
||- PEREZ ALBORS | & CO, Partner
|2004 - 2006
||- Clifford Chance (Madrid), Senior Associate
|1997 - 2003
||- Albors Galiano & Co (Madrid), Senior Associate
|1996 - 1997
||- Bufete Pérez de la Barreda (Madrid), Associate
|1993 - 1994
||- Mapfre Industrial, S.A.S. (Madrid) , Assistant to the Legal Department Manager (Transport Group).
|1991 - 1992
||- Placements with Clifford Chance (London), Albors, de Benito & Galiano (Madrid), Adela Cano Court Agent Office (Madrid)
Her experience includes:
- Advising Lloyd’s reinsurers regarding the court proceedings commenced against the assured for loss and damage caused due to gas explosions in Spain.
- Drafting civil liability policies on behalf of leading domestic and international insurance companies.
- Advising top insurers on cover under general civil liability insurance policies.
- Advising leading insurers on cover under professional indemnity insurance policies.
- Advising top Spanish underwriters on cover under cargo insurance policies.
- Advising leading insurers on cover under hull and machinery insurance policies.
- Advising top insurers on cover under pleasure boats insurance policies.
- Advising leading insurers on cover under jewellery insurance policies.
- Acting on behalf of top insurers regarding administrative proceedings dealt with by the Spanish Insurance Authorities.
- Advising top insurers regarding cover under pleasure boats insurance policies.
- Defending a seed supplier regarding a multimillionaire claim for alleged contamination.
- Defending a Real Estate Developer in relation to a dispute arising out of the construction of a large shopping centre.
- Acting on behalf of leading insurance companies regarding court proceedings brought by their assureds under large risks insurance policies.
- Advising leading underwriters in relation to civil liability claims brought by third parties under D&O insurance policies.
- Acting for Spanish stevedoring companies regarding claims brought against foreign shipowners
- Applying for precautionary measures to obtain security to enforce eventual Spanish judgments.
- Applying for precautionary measures to obtain security to enforce eventual foreign awards.
- Dealing with court proceedings for the recognition and enforcement of foreign court judgments and arbitration awards.
- Defending a leading security company in administrative proceedings commenced against them for alleged breach of administrative regulations.
- Acting on behalf of port operators regarding administrative proceedings commenced by several Harbour Masters.
- Dealing with ICC arbitration proceedings in London on behalf of a Spanish supplier regarding a dispute brought against a UK buyer/importer under a supply agreement.
- Acting on behalf of a developer of a Shopping Centre in Southern Spain regarding a dispute under a purchase contract.
- Dealing with ad hoc arbitration regarding a coomercial dispute for breach of contract.
- Dealing with ad hoc arbitration proceedings arising out a claim for unfair competition.
- Advising in relation to an ad hoc arbitration commenced following a claim for oil pollution.
- Defending the Spanish agents of US aircraft manufacturers regarding a dispute against their principals under the Agency Agreement.
- Acting on behalf of insurance brokers in relation to claims under professional liability insurance policies.
- Defending the US manufacturer of audio equipment in a dispute against the buyer for breach of contract.
- Advising a US manufacturer of medical equipment regarding a dispute against a Spanish hospital which bought the equipment.
- Acting on behalf of a top insurer regarding claims brought by their assureds under a lawyer professional liability claim.